Connect Mobile Broadband dongle to Xbox 360 Easily [Tutorial]

by renjith on February 5, 2009 · 32 comments

in Networking

imageYou might have easily connected your Xbox 360 to internet using your wireless router via Ethernet cable but what if you are having a broadband dongle? Then how do you connect your Xbox 360 and broadband dongle.Of course you can’t plug your dongle directly into the USB port of Xbox.Let’s find it out.

Mobile internet access through broadband dongle can deliver speeds of up to 7.2Mbps.You can choose them from most popular providers shown like 3 Mobile, Vodafone,T-Mobile and Orange. Although the final transfer speeds may be decent, the downfall to using a 3G connection for gaming is your ‘ping’. To get a  lag-free experience on online games, you must need a ping of under 100ms, and on a 3G connection, the least ping you’d get is 300-400ms.But its better than nothing.

I will show you a step by step tutorial for connecting Xbox 360 to a broadband dongle.

1)First of all ,connect your desktop computer or laptop to internet with USB dongle.

2)Connect your computer and Xbox with the Ethernet cable.

3)Take Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections

4)Enable sharing on your internet connection.Also tick the checkbox for ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s connection’ and select ‘Local Area Connection’ for the ‘Home networking connection’ menu.

5)Test your Xbox live connection and check whether it succeeds to connect to internet.(If not make both connections to public instead of private)

6)If it fails again,then restart your PC first and then turn on your Xbox.(in case of dns failures)

Mobile broadband internet providers use slightly different settings for these services than are used in normal ADSL or cable connections. The important difference is the Network Address Translation.This NAT is important as the Xbox live uses different ports than the standard ones used for internet.

Be Sociable, Share!

Related posts:

1. How to Choose and Setup your Mobile Broadband
  2. Access Remote Computer with Secure Desktop Screen Sharing Easily
  3. Does your computer connect to websites secretly

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 7:36 pm

can it work witha orange dongle icon 225

Anonymous May 6, 2009 at 3:37 am

Man that sucks, if you need a laptop or pc, what is the point? Just use a regular modem and share that connection.

Plus the prices for mobile boradband are extortionate! £15 for 1gb of data a month! I pay £20 for unlimited with regualar broadband and thats a 20mb connection!

Plus providers like vodaphone will skin you alive if you go over your limit, anything upto 25 pence a mb once you go over the limit, download a few demos without realising your over your limit and kiss the better part of £300 goodbye!

Anonymous August 13, 2009 at 7:03 am

Yeah it is pretty shit but still in some parts you can't get the usual adsl broadband and have to resort to usb internet

Anonymous November 17, 2009 at 8:34 pm

thanks for that. I'm not lucky enough to be able to afford the crippling "landline" charges, so I pay £15 a month for 15gb. Had no idea how to do it, it seems to be working fine though.

Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 6:51 pm

do i need a dongle to use xbox live on the xbox elite

crazyfally94 January 2, 2010 at 11:16 pm

i tryed these steps it just failed at network on the scan is there any other way because ive bought my live allready

Topboy January 3, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Im gonna try right now ….. i'll let u guys know how i get on.

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 2:45 am

i have windows 7 is there any way of connecting the mobile broadband to my xbox 360 using that?

Anonymous March 27, 2010 at 12:00 pm

i can't find network and sharing center on my control panel. is there anything else it could be on?

Anonymous March 29, 2010 at 4:21 am

I have tried this and it worked until the internet part. when i try to click connect on my thing it can not because i have my ethernet cord is plugged in. i have a sprint mobile broadband.

Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 4:02 pm

i got a 3 dongle and i try to get my xbox 360 to work on it but it dont work do any of you no how to do it

Anonymous May 9, 2010 at 9:52 pm

can anyone tell me how to do this using windows 7 :)

Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 7:28 am

the lates dongales do 7.2gbs with 95 ms but that is still vere lagy

Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Hey guys I have a '3' dongle and I have 12gb a year I was just wondering if I was on xbox live, how much gb or mb would I use in a hour period? Thanks :)

Anonymous July 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm

it depends what you play on the dongle, if its something like call of duty it could be around 100mb an hour.

i have a vodafone dongle but i dont use it much for gaming now. to much money wasted on it, and slow most of the day.

Anonymous September 13, 2010 at 2:02 am

xbox live usage per hour varies on the game and how long you on for. generally call of cuty around 30mb per hour and 20 upload so around 50 mb but hosting games uses alot more. something in the region of 100mb or more but that depends on the number of players. an average months gaming uses around 10gb of data.

Anonymous September 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm

On The Live Connection It Doesnt Pass NetWork, I Only Have Limited Connectivity On My Pc . . . What Do I Do ?

Anonymous November 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Anonymous December 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm

i got a ZTE 15gb dongle well a 3g and i coneect a ethenet cable into the laptop and the xbox 360 eltie or what ever and pressed connect on my dogle and it work iwhent on xbox live but my mum is woried about this because she thinks it takes a lot a GB's for the 3G dongle is this true

Anonymous December 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm

well i know that playin halo reach 1 game =1-3mb difer between game modes like big team also cod blk ops was basicly the same for £20 a month i get 15gb of dater ive never gone over 10 gb and im on almost 24/7 some dongle cant download update for games mainly the new ones i think its because evryone now has them and the old dongle servers are basicly emty hoped i helped.also my new laptop dosnt have the "mannage network connections" only "manage wireless connections" i think its because windows 7 starter,old lappy was same make and modle just had xp and worked fine

James January 3, 2011 at 12:43 am

Works a treat using a uk 3 network dongle, thanks very much !

Anonymous January 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm

ty but its shit and to much lagg rather buy poket wifi

Anonymous January 22, 2011 at 12:16 am

Yay My t-mobile broadband works!!! Thanks to this comment "go to network and sharing go to adapter settings right click on your dongle click properties and then sharing then allow sharing" ;)

Anonymous October 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm

must i have 3 Mobile, Vodafone, T-Mobile or Orange

Anonymous November 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

do you put your dongle in your 360 after you put the ethrnet cable in your laptop and 360

Anonymous November 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

where do i find 'manage network connections'?

Anonymous December 31, 2011 at 6:55 am

see if there is a satellite internet service provider in your area if you cant get DSL or cable…

Anonymous January 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Hi what the best dongle and network package to receive xbox live for cod???

Anonymous January 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Just took me an hour to connect but manged to do it, i'm using a 3 Dongle so intrested to see how Halo will play

Anonymous March 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm

doesn't let me do it, it always fails at the network test even though it will connect to the media centre on my pc, It worked fine on Xp anybody got any ideas? i've already got all the sharing options on.

Anonymous April 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm

HEY GUYS I HAVE BEEN USING XBOX LIVE THROUGH A DONGLE FOR MONTHS FIRSTLY IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS 7 TUFF SHIT IT DOSENT WORKMICROSOFT UPDATED IT AND BLOCKED IT SO UR GOING TO NEED WINDOWS XP I ALWAYS MAKE SURE MY WINDOWS FIREWALL IS OFF DONTWORRY U WONT GET HACKED OR A VIRUS UNLESS U USE THE INTERNET WHILE ALSO CONNECTED TO XBOX LIVE
MAKE SURE U TURN IT BACK ON WHEN YOU WANT TO BROWSE KNOW MY STEPS ON HOW I DID IT ARE (1)CLICK START CONTROL PANEL THEN NETWORK AN INTERNET CONNECTIONS (2)NEXT CLICK NETWORK SETUP WIZARD CLICK THROUGH TILL U GET TO A CHOSE BETWEEN 3 OPTION CLICK THE TOP STATEMENT THEN CLICK NEXT (3)THEN SELECT YOUR INTERNET WHICH WILL BE (T-MOBILE OR 3G ETC) WHEN YOU CLICK NEXT TYPE IN XBOX AND THEN LEAVE UR COMPUTER NAME THEN (4) THEN TURN OFF FILE PRINTING THEN YOUR FINISHED MAKE SURE YOUR HOME BROADBAND IS CONNECTED AND THE ENTHERNET CABLE IS IN BOTH UR COMPUTER AND XBOX (5)ON YOUR XBOX 360 GO TO NETWORK SETTINGS AND CONNECT TO WIRED INTERNET CONNECTION THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK CONNECTING I RECCOMEND T-MOBILE AS THE HOME BROADBAND YOU CAN FIND ENTHERNET CABLES AT SUPERMARKETS AND STORES LIKE PC WORLD OR COMET LAST BUT NOT LEAST MAKE SURE YOU TOP UP YOUR DONGLE £15 SHOULD GIVE YOU A MONTH ON T-MOBILE OTHER NETWORK CHARGES MAY NOT BE THE SAME

Jamie Lyons December 15, 2012 at 1:37 am

hey i have a dongle huawei e3131 i tried your steps but it still wont work.