Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT I9100) users can finally have their hands on the most stable release version of android Jelly Bean firmware (Android OS 4.1.2). This version of Jelly Bean is first unofficial leak for Samsung Galaxy S2 and includes all features same as in the official release. Just follow the steps given below to install official & most stable version of Jelly Bean leaked till now [Android 4.1.2 I9100XXLSJ].
Interesting features included in this release of Galaxy S2 Jelly Bean firmware update.
- Project Butter (GS2 is now more smoother than ever)
- Direct Call (Call contact currently displayed on screen, just put the phone near your ear)
- Smart Stay (Screen will stay ON as long as you’re looking at it)
- Pop up Play (Play videos as pop up)
- TouchWhiz updated same as that of Galaxy S3 and Note.
- Different Home screen modes.
- Google Now
- Updated Notification Bar
My Galaxy S2 had Gingerbread firmware installed and I didn’t bother update to ICS as it didn’t sound much exciting to upgrade it. So mine was a direct upgrade from Gingerbread to JellyBean. So If you’re a Gingerbread user, you can directly update/ flash your GS2 to Jelly Bean using the below steps. Even if you’re having ICS, you can use the same procedure.
Firmware details BEFORE my upgrade
- Android Version: 2.3.3
- BaseBand Version: I9100DDKE2
- Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XWKE8
Firmware details AFTER my upgrade
- Android Version: 4.1.2
- BaseBand Version: I9100XXLS6
- Build Number: JZ054K.I9100.XXLSJ
- Android Version: 4.1.2 – JZO54K (Jelly Bean)
- PDA: I9100XXLSJ
- CSC: I9100OXXLS1
- MODEM: I9100XXLS6
Disclaimer: Flashing will void any warranty. If you’re rooted, your warranty is already gone. Follow the steps given below exactly as told, and if any problems arises we will try to help you out. In any issues arising out of this , I shall not be held responsible for anything. If you’re scared of doing, kindly wait till official jelly bean firmware rolls out in Kies .
Complete Procedure on How to Upgrade Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 I9100XXLSJ
First of all, make sure to Root your phone by following the procedure AS mentioned in my previous article on how to Root Samsung Galaxy S2.
After rooting your phone, follow the below procedure to update your galaxy S2 to android jelly bean 4.1.2
Initial requirements before Upgrade (Important)
– Rooted Galaxy S2 phone
– Enable USB debugging (Settings>Developer options>USB Debugging)
– Battery charge (>60%)
– Install USB drivers of your phone (Just install Kies software from Samsung)
– Close Kies, if it’s open in your PC
– Backup all important data
* For SMS, use SMS Backup and Restore application.
* For Contacts, either sync with Google or use export to SD card option.
Files necessary for Flashing GS2 to Jelly Bean (Download all of them)
Download Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware (Link)
Download ODIN3 v1.87 (Link)
How to Upgrade/ Flash Samsung Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 I9100XXLSJ
After downloading Jelly bean firmware, extract to a folder. You’ll have these files in them.
After extracting ODIN, extract it to a folder and open Odin3v1.87.exe (Right click and select Run as administrator)
Now power off Galaxy S2. (wait till it vibrates and soft button lights turn off)
Then Boot into Download Mode (Press Volume Down + Home and then press Power Button)
Now you’ll see a android icon in download mode. Now connect your usb cable to phone.
In ODIN, you can see a yellow icon written 0:[COM] with corresponding port number. Also a message will appear ‘Added’ in message box.
On the right hand side of ODIN, you can see PDA, Phone and CSC option. Select files accordingly as (refer figure)
- PDA – CODE_I9100XXLSJ.tar
- PHONE – MODEM_I9100XXLS6.tar
- CSC – CSC_HOME_OXX_I9100OXXLS1.tar
Click Start Button in ODIN.
After the upgrade is complete, ODIN will display a PASS message and yellow icon will turn Green.
After this phone will automatically reboot and you’ll be having Galaxy S2 with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware. If you’re having any problems updating galaxy s2 to android 4.1.2 please mention them in comments.