Searching for files inside a folder is very easy in Windows Vista or XP.But to search for a particular text, string or words inside text files in a folder can be very tricky.Its very difficult to look for particular text inside files if you have lot of files with many sub directories.
After coding a site inside my local server I wanted to replace all “localhost/site” terms to “domain.com”.I was looking for “localhost” word inside my server folder which had around 57 other files.First I tried to find that word using windows search and like most of the time,it gave me no results.I then queried my problem into Mr. G and found a software called PRGrep which is a free utility which allows you to search for a word or phrase in a single or multiple text file.
Advanced features of PrGrep.
- Supports text search in files which are located in subdirectories.
- Multiple File search both text and binary.
- Search in the sub-directories with customizable level of sub-directories
- Filter on the files names
- Export your search result in .csv,.txt, excel and xml format.
- Allows you to open the files which are found in search result directly from the application in one click.
- It uses Grep utility which is one of the most advanced search function used for same purpose, the results are very accurate.
Download PRGrep [5.71Mb]
Comments on this entry are closed.
Nice one. Thanks for the info, it will go a long way in solving my problem.
I have a storage capacity of about 1000 gigs and lots of files and folders. Many times I forget where I saved a particular file.
Thanks once more