Samsung Galaxy S2, the latest flagship device from Samsung and successor of hugely popular Galaxy S have launched in Indian market starting from June. After using this device for nearly two weeks, I must say it’s the best phone I’ve ever owned. With a dual core 1.2GHZ ARMv7 processor bundled with 1GB RAM & 16GB internal storage, I’ve never experienced any lag even while playing those HD Gameloft games.
Developers at XDA have started to roll out many awesome custom Roms and mods for Samsung Galaxy S2. But for playing around with these ROMS and apps, you’ll need to root your Galaxy S2. By rooting your device, you’ll be able to remove the existing restrictions and access core parts of your phone operating system.
In this post, I’ll guide you on how to root your Samsung Galaxy S2 running Android 2.3.x with ease.
Disclaimer: I shall not be responsible if you brick your device. Do it in your own risk.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S2
First of all, make sure you’re having all these tools mentioned below at the time rooting.
- Odin Downloader
- XWKDD tar file [don’t extract, leave as it is]
- USB Data Cable
- Samsung’s KIES 2.0 or get it from download page
Install Samsung Kies 2.0,if not installed, as you will need the correct USB driver for software’s to communicate. Turn on USB debugging mode in galaxy s2 from Setting>Applications>Development>USB Debugging. [Important]
1. Boot device into download mode. For getting into download mode on galaxy s2, first turn off the phone and power it on again by pressing Volumedown button, Home button and Power simultaneously. You’ll see a downloading icon once you go into this mode.
2. Start Odin downloader
3. Connect phone to computer via USB.
4. Odin software will notify you when it detects phone and gets connected.
5. In the software, just select “Auto Reboot” and “Reset Time” checkboxes and leave every other options as default.
6. Press PDA icon and select the XWDD tar file you just downloaded [XWKDD_insecure.tar]
7. Press Start and ODIN will flash the kernel and after that, Galaxy S2 will reboot.
8. Don’t remove the phone from USB and let it reboot.
9. After rebooting, start SuperOneClick and press ROOT.
9. Once again reboot the device.
That’s it, Your Samsung Galaxy S2 is now Rooted!!
Now enjoy all the custom roms and overclocking apps for galaxy without any restrictions.
P.S: This method currently works for all Samsung Galaxy S2 versions running android 2.3.3 or android 2.3.4 and above.
Another alternate to the above mentioned method is by using a rooting software called S2 Root. With this software you can both root and unroot your SGS2. This software is specially coded for rooting Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.
As with the previous method, you’ll have to flash an insecure kernel first before rooting, for that, just follow all the steps till 8. Run S2 Root software, and click on “Root Device”. Your phone will reboot once rooting has been done.
Note: While booting, your phone will be showing a yellow triangle with exclamation mark, which indicates you’re running an insecure kernel with temporary root previleges. [optional] If you want to remove this icon, just flash the original kernel back to your device.
In the next weeks, I’ll be posting more on Samsung Galaxy S2, so if you want to follow them, just subscribe to my full posts by email or bookmark our page just for Galaxy S2 devices.
Comments on this entry are closed.
Which firmware you got in galaxy s2…is it android 2.3.3 or 2.3.4?
Where to download android 2.3.4?
this looks interesting….question is can I root my Samsung S2 android 2.3.3 with current secure kernel?
hi does this guide also works for galaxy s2 4.0.3?
Is this rooting method will work on samsung galaxy y also ??
I installed XXLSJ amd it worked, I only now see that I had to Root my Cell. When I tried to root it with [XWKDD_insecure.tar], it bricks the phone after I flash it with Odin. The cell doesnt reboot, it goes straight into bricking mode. Luckily Im able to reinstall XXLSJ and then the cell works again. How do I get my cell rooted, my battery goes flat easily, so I would like to do it.
Will I be able to install the Official Firmware via Kies once it gets released with my phone running on XXLSJ?
Do help, anytime i click on ■XWKDD tar file a window pops up to download iLividSetup (2).exe instead of the XWKDD_insecure.tar you mentioned.
do provide the correct link to download ■XWKDD tar file