With the advent of Smart TV’s, watching your favourite movie on big screen TV has become more popular. Each time after downloading new movie from torrent, I had to manually copy to USB drive, plug into back of TV and then play it. This in turn is a very tedious and time consuming process. So I started searching for an option to stream videos directly from my laptop to TV through WiFi.
As both TV and laptop are connected to same WiFi network, there should be some workaround to ease the process. Finally I was able to do it after installing a software into my laptop. The software had option to share the entire laptop hard disk with TV and user could choose from TV remote the movie which needs to be played.
Share laptop folder with TV and plays video on TV directly from laptop
1. Install Universal media server from the link given in the bottom of post.
2. In software, Go to Navigation/ Share settings tab and select shared folder which you want to share with TV. I usually select folder where I put my entire movie collection.
3. Select Restart server
4. Turn On TV and select input list option where USB drives, HDMI etc can be could found.
5. A new icon “Universal Media Server” will be found in the input list option and click on it.
6. You will be able to see all the folders shared from the laptop under this icon on TV ( I had shared “moutain man” folder from laptop)
So sit back and enjoy the videos shared from laptop on TV 🙂
Note : Pre-requisite for connecting your laptop and TV is that both should be DLNA compatible. If you face any problem in playing videos from computer to TV, please let me know through comments
Comments on this entry are closed.
Awesome bro!! Can u pls tell how to load subtitle while streaming?
I’m trying to share video files like mp4,mkv,avi from my laptop to TV over wifi. Can I use this to make my laptop as a wifi hard disk for the smart tv?
I want to see my video files on TV so that I can select and play which movies I like a folder view. pls help.Thanks