Did you just brick your iPhone by changing iOS date to Jan 1st, 1970? Many people have fell into this trap lately, and bricked their iPhone. It was initially posted by someone in Reddit which claimed to unlock “Apple Retro” theme by changing date to 1st Jan 1970. In this post we will discuss a quick and easy fix to Apple 1970 bug.
What caused this iPhone bug? Seems to be Jan1st 1970 corresponds to Unix Time zero which have caused booting software to calculate into negative time and loop itself.
Many have suggested removing iPhone battery or draining out the complete battery charge so as to reset the iPhone time. It works but takes lot of trouble to unscrew iPhone and disconnect battery. Fortunately their is another easy and quick method of resetting iPhone time and fixing 1970 bug without removing battery. Read further and follow procedure exactly to unbrick your iPhone from 1970 bug.
If you’ve already brick your phone, you might be seeing the white screen with Apple logo and stuck on it.
- Install iTunes in your laptop and keep it ready. Plug your data cable to laptop but NOT to iPhone yet.
- Now Press on the Power button and home button simultaneously.
- After pressing for exactly 10 seconds remove the finger from power button but still press the home button and immediately plug the data cable to laptop.
- After holding home button for some more time, you’ll see a message pop out in iTunes that phone has entered recovery mode.
Now click restore iPhone in iTunes and wait for phone to to be restored.
- Once iPhone is detected in iTunes, configure it as a new device and don’t restore from backup.
- Once iPhone boots up, time will be reset and 1970 bug will be removed.
Update: Once iTunes detects iPhone in recovery mode. Configure iPhone as a new device and DON’T RESTORE FROM BACKUP and it will successfully solve this bug.