Problem: Magnet links not opening in chrome. Earlier if I click on magnet link of torrents, Chrome will open the magnet link(torrent file) in uTorrent. Now it’s not opening!
We have found an easy way to fix this problem for associating magnet links in chrome with uTorrent (or any other torrent application). No need to reinstall chrome /uTorrent or do we need to reset settings of chrome. Just follow below easy way to make utorrent open magnets link directly from Chrome browser.
- Press Windows key + R
- It will open Run window. Copy paste below address to run window and press enter.%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data
- An explorer window will be opened. (In our case on windows 7, it opens C:\Users\Renjith\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data)
- In this window, find a file names LocalState. Open it with Notepad.
- In Notepad, Press CNTRL +F & Search for term Magnet.
- Delete the following line from the file as highlighted in the below image.”magnet”:true,
- Save the LocalState file
- Open Chrome browser. Go to any torrent site & click Magnet button.
- A Pop up will show as per below image, Open Magnet URL?<
- Select Remember my choice for magnet URL links & click Open Magnet URL button.
- Now Magnet links are associated with uTorrent in Chrome & every time it will open utorrent if you click on Magent links.
If you’re facing any problem associating Magnet links in Chrome with Torrent application, let us know in comments below. We will help you.
Comments on this entry are closed.
Also works for linking magnet link with Bittorrent
does magnet link work for firefox?
I dot not see “magnet” in the file LocalState to delete line ”magnet”:true. I tried opening magnet link using Chrome Version 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit) in Windows 10 Pro Version. I am using Free Download Manager (FDM) to download torrent magnet links in this laptop.
I otherwise use chrome and FDM successfully in my Win 7 32bit system and that is working fine.
when i search for ‘magnets’ the search function finds nothing
recently had the popup from step 9 appear and I clicked “don’t open” because I clicked on the wrong magnet link. now they won’t work. I’ve searched the local state file for magnet and it isn’t there. I even searched for “true” and it wasn’t associated to anything that looked like magnet…
any ideas, other then resetting or Reinstalling chrome and/or utorrent, would be appreciated
Hi even i tried finding magnet or true in local state file but found nothing
i clicked on remember my choice & dont open because when i clicked on any magnet link chrome kept on giving pop up for opening magnet link even though i had just opened it because pop up would not allow me to do anything else it just kept opening even after selecting to open the magnet link that’s why i got irritated and selected dont open not knowing that it would affect all the magnet links
Local State File hasnt this field.. I tried to search it but there is no mention of Magnet in the file
how do i reallow it in apple mac..